Frequently Asked Questions

Have a read of our FAQ's to see if we can answer your question.

What services and support will be available?

There are three areas of support available to schools; teaching and learning, professional learning and consultancy.

How does a school access these services?

The school principal or delegate contacts the School of Special Educational Needs: Sensory.  The call will be referred to the appropriate member of the school leadership group.

What documentation is required to access support from SSEN: Sensory?

All referrals require evidence of a diagnosed hearing loss and/or vision impairment, eg audiogram, ophthalmologist/optometrist report.

How long will a student have to wait for support?

Each service referral will be dealt with on an individual basis to ensure support is tailored to meet the needs of the student.

At what age can a student receive support?

SSEN: Sensory supports children at any age from birth with a hearing loss and/or vision impairment from diagnosis.

What support is available for a child from 0-4 years?

The Early Childhood Service provides one on one support tailored to meet individual need.  Additionally family engagement in Playgroup is encouraged for 0 to 3 year olds and a 3-4 year old small group program is available through the Lighthouse Littlies program.

What support is available for a school aged student?

There is a Sensory Visiting Teacher Service and support is based on individual student educational needs from Kindergarten through to Year 12/13.

What support is available for students located in the country?

SSEN: Sensory is a statewide service.  Some major country towns have local Sensory Visiting Teachers available whilst more remote areas are supported on a needs and/or request basis.

What is the role of a SSEN: Sensory Visiting Teacher?

SSEN Sensory has two specialised visiting teacher programs; Deaf Education and Vision Education. These roles may encompass the following:

  • To support the communicative, academic and social/emotional needs of students.
  • To increase the capacity of the school community and classroom teachers to develop and implement teaching and learning adjustments for students.
  • To provide direct teaching and consultation (including modelling).
  • To implement the relevant expanded core curricula.
  • To collaborate with the school community and external stakeholders to implement appropriate individual education plans, support school case management, and provide consultative support regarding minor works (Vision Education).
  • To assist in the development of emergent literacy and numeracy.
  • To provide direct instruction in the relevant Braille codes and in Auslan language development as a first language.
  • To assess the needs of each child and provide appropriate resources.

Will a student with a hearing loss and/or vision impairment with additional needs receive support from SSEN: Sensory?

Yes. The visiting teachers provide highly individualised support in the education and communication development for these students whilst collaborating with parents and therapy teams.

How does SSEN: Sensory assist with special examination conditions?

The School of Special Educational Needs: Sensory collaborates with School Curriculum and Standards Authority to ensure accessibility for assessments.  Sensory Visiting Teachers will conduct assessments, monitor and advise the school on recommended Special Examination Arrangements, which meet demonstrated need, to trial through the senior school years.  Sensory Visiting Teachers will support the school in their case management processes.

How does SSEN: Sensory assist with disability adjustments for formal assessments?

Sensory Visiting Teachers will conduct assessments, monitor and advise the school on recommended disability adjustments that meet demonstrated need.  Sensory Visiting Teachers will make suitable disability adjustment recommendations for NAPLAN Assessments, Online Literacy and Numeracy Assessments (OLNA) and Externally Set Tasks (ESTs).

What types of adjustments can be implemented to assist a student with a sensory disability/need?

Your SSEN: Sensory Visiting Teacher of the Deaf will advise the most appropriate teaching and learning adjustments.  Types of adjustments to suit students with hearing loss may include:
  • preferential seating;
  • amplification management and classroom environment (acoustics);
  • access to visual cues;
  • and captioning access.
Your SSEN: Sensory Vision Visiting Teacher will advise the most appropriate teaching and learning adjustments.  Types of adjustments to suit students with vision impairment may include:
  • seating,
  • positioning,
  • lighting and classroom environment;
  • contrast;
  • organisation and time requirements;
  • assistive technology;
  • and resources in alternative format (large print, audio, braille, tactile).

How does SSEN: Sensory assist with a student’s transition between schools?

Sensory teachers work with the student, school/s and family to determine the level of support and the specific strategies required to ensure a student successfully transitions between schools.

Is SSEN: Sensory able to assist with student health and well-being concerns?

Yes, the school psychologist is available to consult and support school psychologists working with students with a sensory disability/need.