Visiting Teacher Service
The Visiting Teacher Service based at The School of Special Educational Needs: Sensory in Padbury, offers support to schools, parents and children with vision impairment and/or hearing loss in Western Australia.
The Sensory Vision visiting teacher assists classroom teachers and school communities with developing teaching and learning adjustments for young children/students with vision impairment.
The visiting teacher fulfils a number of roles in order to support the child, teacher and parents in meeting his/her educational needs through:
The role of the visiting teacher is to:
- make recommendations on teaching and learning adjustments, including minor works. Learn more.
- implement the Expanded Core Curriculum. Learn more.
- assist in the development of emergent literacy and numeracy in the home
- assess the needs of each child to ensure the most appropriate resources are provided
- provide opportunities for teachers and parents to become aware of the effects of vision impairment on development and learning
- collaborate with other agencies to strengthen partnerships.